I had been happily painting away, enjoying my art class, then got interrupted by a miserable head cold and a few other little "emergencies". One of the things I did find time to work on was our present subject, leaves, and started this exercise from a photo I had taken a few years ago of autumn leaves on lichen-covered rocks. I drew the leaves, transferred to watercolour paper, started painting, all was going well. In fact I was rather pleased with how well the leaves were turning out. Then I tried to lay in the background of rocks and lichens. The idea was to put down the colour, use "back splats" to create some clear spots to paint in the lichens, throw on a little salt to make some little spots. Well I got splats all right. And pooled up areas that dried into lines that I didn't want. The more I try to fix it the worse it gets. I think I'll just start over.