Sunday, September 30, 2012

Found some more Foxfire

It's that time of year again for the Great Canadian Pasttime:  gathering firewood for the winter.  I've been cutting most of our supply by myself, Dad just turned 88 years old and can't quite run up and down these rocky hills like he used to.  The one bright side to last July's drought was the drying out of one of our swamps, I was able to get in there and cut a bunch of fallen dead maples and ash trees and throw the lengths onto a rocky outcrop where they could be retrieved later when the rains returned and refilled the swamp.  Easier said than done, it's a long walk up and down the woodland path to the road.  Even so, I've got a respectable pile already gathered for the winter.  My legs and shoulders are sore this morning.

Some of the smaller and more decayed pieces are being used here at the summer residence.  Several small ash trees had died and fallen over, pulling up the root ends with them.  I had brought one of these back to the house and cut it up, and put the pieces in the woodbox last night.  When I shut the lights off the box was glowing lime  green from one of the butts that we had split in two, got some lovely foxfire again this year.

Took some pictures and have tried to upload, but this old slow dialup is proving to be a major pain in the hind end.

No comments: