Saturday, March 12, 2011

Last flight of Discovery



Tuesday evening was a rare clear night, with the last flight of the Shuttle Discovery scheduled. I had missed the better sight the night before, when Discovery had just parted from the International Space Station. Now, I didn't know that Discovery was still in close proximity to the ISS, but I wanted to get a shot of the ISS. Later, when I had news from an astronomy forum that people had seen Discovery several degrees ahead of the ISS, I went back through the pictures and found one shot with a faint streak ahead of the ISS. So I did manage by dumb luck to get it.
The ISS as it passes below Orion. Orion is one of my favourite constellations, easy to see, big and bold in the winter sky. I have a theory about Orion and
the pyramids,, but need more information and don't know how to go about getting it. Internet searches don't quite show what I'm looking for. Need to get myself down to Queen's library one of these days and do some reading.

No comments: