Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Got my ladder back

Chicks May 25, still blind and downy.


I'm always amazed at how quickly chicks grow. We had robins build a nest on top of the stepladder in the shed, seemed like in no time they had gone from hatchlings to fledglings. I found one that fledged out, sitting atop the little shed we keep back of the house in case we need to set up the generator. The next morning I watched the parents busily pulling worms from the freshly mown lawn, and it occurred to me I'd better look inside the shed to make sure they all got out. Good thing I looked, there was a tall empty plastic trash can, one of the chicks was sitting in the bottom of it, chirping at me when I loomed over the top. I reached down and grabbed it with both hands, chick chirped loudly, both parents started screaming from the neighbour's poplar tree a few feet away. I took it out and held it up for parents to see, they kept on screaming til I put it on the picnic table. As soon as I moved away one of the parents came down to inspect it. I thoroughly checked the shed to make sure no more of the chicks were trapped in there, then closed it up and went inside the house to watch the parents feed it on the picnic table.













Fledgling June 3rd.

1 comment:

A Real Steele said...

Oh great shots and story! Found your blog through the Naturelist.