Friday, June 8, 2007

Catching up: Hare from May 17th, 2007

Aleta from the nature list told us of a recent encounter with a feisty hare on the road, and it's prompting me to post a couple pictures of our resident snowshoe hare. Dad had called me over to the window on the morning of May 17th to watch bunny munching its way through our rock garden. It selected several weeds, some grasses, clover, then munched the leaves off a small oak tree.









After filling its belly, it hopped up to the patio, and had a good stretch and scratch. You can see in the second picture that the last of the winter white is shedding off. I've had to plant my salvia plants up out of reach this year, last year bunny took the whole row off. Hogged the salad and didn't leave any for the hummingbirds. In the past three weeks we've seen the hare (s?) racing about over the lawns. One morning I stood still and watched, it raced back and forth, twice it came within 5 feet of me. At one point it encountered a rock wall, stopped, looked around and made about a 7 foot leap straight up and hit the ground running. Quite entertaining watching him race about.



No comments: